Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Academy of Handmade Awards 2015



This past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend The Academy of Handmade's 2015 award show. I hadn't heard about the organization until a few weeks ago, but now that I know more about what they do, I want to spread the word as much as I can.

In short, The Academy of Handmade offers support for artists who make products from hand and the people who support them. The type of products these artists make are becoming increasingly rare in a world of automation and I think it's wonderful that the people who make these products have a place where they can be part of something larger. The nature of their work is solitary, but the Academy gives them an opportunity to socialize and learn from others.

The Academy of Handmade holds an award show each year to recognize outstanding artists who may go unrecognized by traditional design organizations. This year was no exception; each nominated person or group possessed a high level of skill and creativity.

The event took place at Art Share LA, a wonderful venue in the Arts District. They were bustling that evening with three different events, including a gallery opening.


The creativity of The Academy extends beyond the artists it aims to recognize; the organizers of the show also exhibited a great deal of effort and imagination when decorating the event. See for yourself in these pictures.
The main stage. Notice the colored draping.
The video screen was used throughout the night to display sponsor videos, nominee information, award recipients, and more. It worked well given the seating arrangement because it was placed high enough to be seen no matter where you were seated. 

Cocktail hour was sponsored by Bourbon and GooseCreativebug, and MadeFreshly.
Before the award show started, the nominees and guests gathered around and talked over cocktails and food. Socialization is a key part of The Academy's organization, so the cocktail hour was a vital part of the event. It was only after we were stuffed and seated that the award show began.

The drinks looked delicious, but I don't drink alcohol, so I didn't partake in them.
There was also a table of delicious food. That I DID partake in.

Overall, it was a fun night that gave accolades at a number of deserving artists. I believe The Academy of Handmade is a wonderful organization to have in the community and I'm glad to see they are thriving. If you're interested in their work, visit their website at The Academy of Handmade Artists & Supporters.

Tickets for the event were provided to me by Creativebug, one of the event's sponsors. Creativebug is an innovative online platform for learning new crafting skills through video lessons and other resources. Some of their programs are available for free, so check them out if you're interested in learning to craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment